Technical visoion of edubuntu ver1.0

Jan Wilson nospam at corozal.com
Fri Jun 24 19:40:15 UTC 2005

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> my vision of our first release is a LiveCD with included installer
> (http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress), the CD should work in a
> manner that you dont need to touch anything and be able to set up a
> (20-30 workplace/1 server) classrom within minutes and with no or as
> less interaction as possible.

I like this idea a lot.  And I'd like to introduce myself to the list.

I am recently retired from Corozal Junior College in Corozal Town,
Belize, where we have been using LTSP for several years.  We based it on
Mandrake (now Mandriva).  I have recently personally switched to
Kubuntu, and I have been playing with livecds for a while also.

I think it would be wonderful to be able to demo LTSP this way, selling
the idea to teachers, IT personnel, and school administrators.  The
LiveCD would be a big benefit, because then we could show them on their
own computers what the idea is about.  Then, using that CD, or even a
different CD or DVD, we could install the system after "making the sale"
so to speak.

I have been doing a lot of work with PHP and MySQL ... have a PHP/MySQL
grades program in use in two schools already.  I love Perl and have
taught programming using Python (though I am less skilled in that).  I
would be glad to work with some of you fine folks to develop this idea
... I won't do ANYTHING that isn't open source.

I do have to earn money to live on, but I want to do that through
consulting, custom programming (released into open source), training,
etc.  My idea is that the schools (and others) should be able to do as
much as they can themselves, but have someone like me available to help
them "learn to fish" if they need it, for a reasonable fee.

Sorry for the longish initial post.

Jan Wilson, Consultant   _/*];   email:   kris at kringle.corosal.com
"Wizard Third Class"     |  |:'  corosal.com, corosal.bs, linux.bs
Corozal Town, Belize     |  /'  change each 's' to 'z' in  above !
Reg. Linux user #151611  |_/  Network, PHP, Perl, SQL, Linux, etc.