Encyclopedia/Dictionary for linux

Knut Yrvin knuty at skolelinux.no
Thu Jul 14 09:43:08 UTC 2005

torsdag 14. juli 2005, 09:29, skrev Conrad Newton:
> At the LinuxTag in Germany, this was a Frequently Asked Question:
> i.e. is it possible to
>
> apt-get install wikipedia ???

> The answer currently is no.

The reason is that wikipedia consists of 19 GB content, and this is way
to big for a CD or a DVD :-)

> It would of course be interesting to go into this question
> in more detail, and discover if at least a subset of wikipedia
> could be included in the framework of free software/free content.

The people from tuLabs in South-Africa told about a solution to
install and update a local Wikipeda instance for schools with no
Internet. They were distributing the system from a transportable
storage, and they upgraded the system with new entries
periodically. This routine should be interesting for everybody. I don't
know if it's working.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Conference_reports/FLOSS,_South_Africa_2005

- Knut