LTSP "out of the box"

john.ridge john.ridge at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 11 22:20:49 UTC 2005

> From: Quim Gil <qgil at interactors.coop>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:14:19 +0200
> To: Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>
> Cc: edubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: LTSP "out of the box"
>

>> yes, there should be an option to avoid the ltsp installation, but the
>> default install (hitting enter for all questions in the installer)
>> should provide you with a working ltsp classroom environment including
>
> That's fine.
>
> As an example, the specs in this tender for the Catalan Departmen of
> Education define by default a thick-clients environment, being opened to
> a thin-clients approach.
>
> Of course we can adapt this for that project if we get it, I just wanted
> to point that it may just happen that teachers and admins knowing what
> they do could simply prefer a non-LTSP environment.
>
> On the other hand, I may well imagine that the Edubuntu success in the
> schools will be noticed by parents wanting to have it also at home....
> picking a CD or downloading it and installing it at home. If Edubuntu is
> as successful as we want, it may well happen that many people know about
> Edubuntu without having heard of Ubuntu.
>
> The question could be as simple as:
>
> WHAT KIND OF COMPUTER IS THIS?
>
> 1. The teacher's computer, that will control the rest of computers
> connected to it. (LTSP - default)
Minor point, but as a teacher, I would prefer the phrase to be "The central
computer" ....

> 2. A stand-alone computer in a classroom or at home. (thick-client)

There are points in favour of both approaches.

Thick client
The physics lab at my College has installed several new pcs. Given this, I
could persuade admin to install a thick client Edubuntu in the lab, but an
Edubuntu thin client approach is two hurdles for them to overcome, instead
of just one.
Plus, when I am using Edubuntu, I want to be able to use it/ prepare stuff
at home.

Thin client
The computers for the students at my friends primary school are in need of
replacement, but admin has a decent server. Obviously thin client.

I don't yet know The Answer.

John r