[Fwd: suggets 2 open source software for including in edubuntu and/or ubuntu]

guillaume lederer guillaume at claroline.net
Thu Dec 22 09:15:07 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I did mention Claroline some times ago. As being involved in the project
for now two years, we though great to see it distributed with Edubuntu too.
I started the debian package for Claroline some times ago but I have to
confess that it took me quiet a lot of time and I am not even sure about
the quality of the result, if anyone want to help in this, I can send
him/her what I did, (please contact me then). I work in a Belgian
research center where we received fundings to collaborate to the
development of Claroline. It has been several months that I am trying to
convince my bosses to release some time of one our best developer (who
has done that yet before) to make this debian package, I hope this will
be done soon.

>It also has more of a post-18
>focus than Moodle these days

Lots of european high schools use Claroline as well (12-18 years old
students) I don't believe this is true. Claroline is easier to use.
Moodle has a different approach and can do most of the things you can do
with Claroline. But what I hear from people switching and satisfied with
Claroline is that it is easier to take in hand for a (novice) teacher,
just simpler to install and to use. And this point is critical when you
set up a new LMS and want to see users starting to use it efficiently.
By the way, I honestly believe Moodle is a very good tool too.

>eXe is well worth including in my view. It's browser based, but runs via
>a localhost server in its default setup - see
>http://eduforge.org/projects/exe/

For beeing looking for opensource SCORM creation tools for now two years
(to suggest them to Claroline users), I also do believe this tool is the
most promizing  tool available for now. We have been in contact with
their developers, they are very active and we liked very much the
philosophy of their tool. It works great in most opensource LMS.

>Claroline provides much the same core functionality as Moodle, but has a
> smaller user and developer community.

That is true. But we are doing our best ;-) ! translated in 31
languages, we know about more than 520 places (university and schools)
using it in 68 countries : http://www.claroline.net/worldwide.htm The
french and spanish speaking communities are the biggest. Our download
rate has increased of more or less 50% during this year 2005.

Regards,

Guillaume (guim on the IRC chan)