Applications in Russian?

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Tue Aug 2 06:25:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 01:36 +0000, eslibrary at juno.com wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for contacting us.

> I am helping introduce and spread Linux, and specifically Ubuntu, in Kyrgyzstan (CIS on NW border of China). Russian is the main language in the capitol of Bishkek, and Kyrgyz in the smaller towns. I know the main desktop applications (Open Office) are already in Russian.
Sounds exciting :)

> Will any of the Edubutu programs also be available in Russian?
Edubuntu (the operating system - menus etc) will be available in all the
languages ubuntu supports. (I have a attached a document which lists
these.) Russian is one of the supported languages, but Kyrgyz is not
(yet).

Translations are pne of the things that we really on community
involvement for, see: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/participate,
and specifically, https://launchpad.net/rosetta which is the "tool for
translating open source applications into your language".

As for the applications, these will be available in the languages they
are supported in, but these should also increase over times as they use
communities to assist with translations as well (as far as I know).

> This would be very valuable in the former Soviet Union, which has Altlinux, but not a good Debian-derived educational distribution. Our long term desire would be to take part in Kyrgyz translation, but that probably won't come until we have a good Russian educational distribution.
It would be great for you to get a Kyrgyz translation initiated.

Regards
Janew

--
JaneW