Application for per-package upload rights for openvswitch and ovn packages

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 6 14:36:37 UTC 2024

On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 12:55:41PM +0100, Frode Nordahl wrote:
> > after a vote on the mailing list and then at the 2022-04-04 DMB
> > meeting, your application for PPU rights for the openvswitch and ovn
> > packages was unanimously approved. Congratulations!
> >

> Thanks alot! It is my understanding that PPU implies Ubuntu membership, and
> I have a desire to make use of an @ubuntu.com email address for my upstream
> contributions.

I think this was an oversight. Could the DMB please agree to make Frode
an Ubuntu Member retrospectively?

How I think this works is:

* The DMB is delegated the power to grant Ubuntu Membership for Ubuntu
  development activities. The usual threshold applies which is up to us
  to judge: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/NewMember

* We aren't always clear on whether we agree that an applicant meets the
  membership threshold during applicaion meetings. We should do better
  here.

* For some types of application, Ubuntu Membership is a hard
  requirement, so in these cases it's implied that we are granting
  membership if we approve the application.

* For PPU, the granting of membership is optional. It's possible to be a
  PPU uploader without being an Ubuntu member.

* However, our internal documentation
  (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperMembershipBoard/KnowledgeBase#Teams_to_add_uploaders_to)
  makes it clear that granting membership is the default in the case of
  PPU.

* In Frode's case, it looks like our checklist was neglected and he was
  added neither to ~ubuntu-dev nor to ~ubuntu-uploaders.

* Looking at Frode's application I think he met the threshold for
  membership at the time.

* The Membership Board have indicated that they would prefer not to
  reinstate lapsed memberships retroactively if the person has been
  inactive, but I don't think this is the case for Frode as it looks
  like his last upload was in October - less than six months ago.

Therefore, I'm in favour of just adding Frode to ~ubuntu-dev, if other
DMB members concur.

Thanks,

Robie