Request for openbox to be added to the Lubuntu packageset

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 24 16:00:19 UTC 2023

On 3/23/23 14:37, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 8:34 AM Aaron Rainbolt <arraybolt3 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Openbox is a lightweight window manager. It is seeded in Lubuntu, and
>> only in Lubuntu, and forms part of the core of the Lubuntu experience.
>> Currently it is not in the Lubuntu packageset, which makes it difficult
>> for non-MOTU Lubuntu developers to update it. As it is a core Lubuntu
>> component, I would like to request that it be added to the Lubuntu
>> packageset to allow myself and other Lubuntu developers to be able to
>> update it without needing assistance from a MOTU.
> I haven't seen any updates/fixes/commits to openbox on the Ubuntu
> side, can you please show the upload history of the said package to
> see how it's being used at Lubuntu's end? I'd like to see the quality
> of uploads being done before granting the access.
I think the Lubuntu team hasn't had to upload to Openbox in a long time
(if ever) since there's not been any problems with it up until now -
however the recent GLib slice allocator removal threw us for a loop and
needed an upload. At any rate, we were able to get a working upload
sponsored, so there is now an example of a Lubuntu-team-assisted upload
to Openbox here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openbox/3.6.1-10ubuntu1 The
corresponding bug report is here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openbox/+bug/2011751