MOTU application Alexandre Ghiti

Thomas Ward teward at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 6 20:15:28 UTC 2022

This is a -1 from me.

Reasoning is as follows:

(1) From questions asked in the channel, it's clear you do NOT have
working knowledge of the process for merges, which is critical for any
kind of upload rights - MOTU or CoreDev or otherwise.  This is a
critical part of development and new package development, which is
knowledge that based on your responses you do not have.

(2) Recurring problems of typos and missing information in changelogs.
Another critical thing is this knowledge, if typos keep showing up in
your code that gets sponsored/released, and you fail to put proper bug
references in changelogs, bugs won't get closed properly and you'll be
stuck redoing your work because of typos.  If you don't have a proper
way to detect these other than asking another dev to take a look, then
you should not have unrestricted upload rights and should continue to
work with sponsors.

(3) Insufficient understanding of the SRU process is also evident in the
questions asked.  You need to look more into how SRUs work, maybe work
on more of them with a sponsor before requesting upload privileges to do
such tasks without monitoring.

(4) This is less of an issue, but is still extremely critical: you
stated some strings where things would be in multiple releases for
version strings that are **incorrect**.  For the most part, the Ubuntu
Developers more or less follow the Security Team's versioning guidelines
- see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/UpdatePreparation#Update_the_packaging
where an example version table exists - and incorrect version strings
can result in things being broken in the *future* when you try and apply
version strings with the examples you provided and then need to do
another package update specific for one Ubuntu release but *not* all of
the ones with conflicting strings.  This is something you need to always
be aware of and it's clear you do not know this information, which is
one *major* requisite for any kind of packaging or bug work.

I strongly advise you to work with sponsors on any patches or uploads
you need to do for the foreseeable future (at the very least, throughout
next dev cycle), because you do not have the knowledge you need to do
uploading work without other devs or sponsors correcting your mistakes
before upload.  You also don't show requisite knowledge of critical dev
processes either, which sponsors and devs can help teach you.

Thomas

DMB Member