Rescheduling regular DMB meeting day/time

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 9 17:24:02 UTC 2021

Thank you Laney for your input - much appreciated!

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 09:52:08AM +0000, Iain Lane wrote:
> To this end, I want to throw this option out: for maximum fairness when
> there is only one meeting slot provided, consider moving *all*
> applications to the same asynchronous method and keep the meetings only
> for administrative DMB matters which you feel need to be discussed
> synchronously.

I realise that this is a widely supported view, but I'm opposed to this.
In recent meetings I've been -1 a number of times because I think it has
become evident in a meeting that an applicant is not ready in a way that
wasn't obvious from their written application.

Usually these are social rather than technical things, such as a lack of
understanding of who is in charge of what. I consider this kind of thing
*more* important than technical ability, because when people know who to
ask and understand how we make decisions, then everything else can be
figured out by talking to people.

I think a realtime discussion is the best way to assess this kind of
thing. I remain open to compromising on this on a case-by-case basis
when it is necessary, but I see it as a compromise, not the norm.