Rescheduling regular DMB meeting day/time

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 9 09:52:08 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 05:37:32PM -0500, Dan Streetman wrote:
> With the intention of this thread being to come up with days/times
> that will allow the most number of board members to attend, I propose
> we eliminate the "alternating time" meetings and just stick to a
> single day/time that works best for the board. That also implies that
> we're placing additional burden on candidates who don't normally
> overlap with whatever time slot we choose, meaning we should make the
> board more available to by-request meeting times and/or mailing list
> applications.

I'm mostly lurking these days, but I want to say that this last part is
critical to get right.  The DMB is a super important part of the pathway
that new developers take when getting involved in the community, and
it's really critical that you don't end up favouring people who are for
whatever reason able to be available when you all are. (Most obviously
by living in similar timezones to enough DMB members.) If you're going
to end up pushing them to asynchronous meetings then this needs to be
made a proper first class option, in documentation and the actual
candidate experience (timely, good quality interactions as you get on
IRC).

To this end, I want to throw this option out: for maximum fairness when
there is only one meeting slot provided, consider moving *all*
applications to the same asynchronous method and keep the meetings only
for administrative DMB matters which you feel need to be discussed
synchronously.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]