PPU application: nick black

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 14 14:08:30 UTC 2020

Hi Nick,

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 01:39:07AM -0500, Nick Black wrote:
> Hello there, Ubuntu crew! I'd appreciate being considered for
> PPU with rights to upload Notcurses. I'm the upstream author,
> and the packager for a number of distributions (including
> Debian), and even FreeBSD.

Thank you for volunteering to look after your package in Ubuntu!

> I'm a Debian Maintainer, worked on the Goobuntu (an internal
> Ubuntu derivative) team at Google, and ran the SprezzOS Debian
> Derivative for the two years of its existence. My involvement
> with Ubuntu proper is fairly meager, but I hope to change that.

As a Debian Maintainer for the package, we'd certainly appreciate you
also maintaining the package in Ubuntu when needed. However I don't see
that you currently have any sponsored uploads in Ubuntu. Am I missing
any?

Ubuntu has its own release process and policy requirements, so we
usually expect uploaders to have a demonstrated track record of
negotiating this before we grant unsupervised upload access. This is
done by finding existing uploaders to review and sponsor any needed
uploads.

For PPU to a single package you maintain in Debian the bar is relatively
low, but there are still relevant Ubuntu-specific aspects such as our
freeze schedule, understanding when a delta against Debian is required
and how to maintain that, how to fix a problem in a package in a stable
release, etc.

I encourage you to seek sponsorship for Ubuntu uploads for the time
being, and apply for unsupervised upload access once you have a few of
these.

We can chat further and with others in the meeting today if this will
help. Sorry I hadn't brought this up earlier.

Robie