Please add new printing-related packages to my upload rights into main

Dan Streetman dan.streetman at canonical.com
Wed Apr 15 17:19:44 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 1:07 PM Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have per-package upload rights for printing-related packages.
>
> I would like to have the following packages added to my upload rights to
> main as I am working on them sometimes for printing-related issues (it
> is possible that I already have upload access for one or another):

Hello,

sorry for the delay.  We discussed this at the last DMB meeting and
I've taken the action item to handle this.  Specific responses are
below, but also I would like to suggest that you apply to the DMB to
create a specific packageset, either a personal packageset or a
printing-specific packageset.  That will allow the DMB to update the
list of packages more quickly in the future, as PPU updates for
specific users must be done by the Technical Board, which takes more
time.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperMembershipBoard/KnowledgeBase#Packagesets

Also to quickly summarize, there are only 2 packages in your list of
requested packages that you currently don't have upload rights to,
'sane-backends' and 'avahi'.  As a DMB member, I agree these packages
are relevant to your existing list of PPU packages and area of
expertise, and approve of providing upload rights to them.

> cpdb-libs
> cpdb-backend-cups
> cpdb-backend-gcp
> cpdb-backend-file

Since you are already a member of the MOTU team, you already have
upload rights to all source packages in universe, which includes all 4
of these packages:

$ edit-acl -p till-kamppeter -t upload -s cpdb-libs -s
cpdb-backend-cups -s cpdb-backend-gcp -s cpdb-backend-file check
Till Kamppeter (till-kamppeter) can upload cpdb-libs to Focal/Release
Till Kamppeter (till-kamppeter) can upload cpdb-backend-cups to Focal/Release
Till Kamppeter (till-kamppeter) can upload cpdb-backend-gcp to Focal/Release
Till Kamppeter (till-kamppeter) can upload cpdb-backend-file to Focal/Release

> This is the Common Print Dialog Backends infrastructure of OpenPrinting,
> AFAIK already used by LibreOffice but planned to be used also by the GTK
> and Qt print dialogs. It separates print technology (CUPS, Google Cloud
> Print, Print to File, ...) support implementation from the GUIs, so that
> changes in print technologies can be supported centrally and new print
> technologies can be supported in all print dialogs by installing a snap.
>
> SANE (sane-backends, sane-frontends, ...)

If there are additional specific packages besides these 2 you are
asking for upload permission for, please request those specific
package names.

For these 2 packages, sane-frontends is in universe so as above, you
can already upload it.

However sane-backends is in main, so you will need PPU rights for it,
which I have requested that the TB provide.

$ edit-acl -p till-kamppeter -t upload -s sane-backends -s sane-frontends check
Till Kamppeter (till-kamppeter) cannot upload sane-backends to Focal/Release
Till Kamppeter (till-kamppeter) can upload sane-frontends to Focal/Release

> This is the framework to make scanner work under Linux. Due to the fact
> that many printers are multi-function devices with built-in scanner I
> also working on support of these devices, so uploading SANE would be
> very helpful for me.
>
> Avahi

This is also in main, so I have requested the TB add this to your PPU list.

$ edit-acl -p till-kamppeter -t upload -s avahi check
Till Kamppeter (till-kamppeter) cannot upload avahi to Focal/Release