Smarter overrides (was Re: [packageset] Please add an ubuntu-desktop exception for gnome-shell and gnome-control-center)

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 27 10:24:19 UTC 2019

Thanks for handling this so far Mathieu.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 09:35:04AM -0400, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:
> > Why isn't gnome-shell in ubuntu-desktop? I think this is due to the 'no
> > sharing with Kubuntu' ruleĀ² causing it to be excluded transitively via
> > screen-resolution-extra. If that's right, it seems incidental to me.
> > This package is maintained by the Desktop team, and so I think an
>
> It might well be. I thought I had added an exception because I noticed
> some of these obviously desktop packages were ending up in the wrong
> packageset. I think the net effect is that right now they must have
> ended up in 'desktop-core', and I had figured it was sufficient (based
> on other packages that also end up there). I can rearrange them.

No, I'm sorry, I had misunderstood the rule. It isn't 'no sharing with
Kubuntu' - it is 'no other flavours can share with Ubuntu or Kubuntu'.
They can share with each other just fine. The problem is that
gnome-shell ends up in 'desktop-common' after germinating, which maps to
the desktop-core packageset per the script (that seems correct, and
germinate seems to be behaving rationally too).

Actually quite a few other desktop packages end up out of the
ubuntu-desktop set due to this:

  https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/germinate-output/ubuntu.eoan/desktop-common

It'd be desirable to fix this in `packageset-report' by allowing entire
branches of the tree to be overridden. You'd write an exception like

  gnome-shell	ubuntu	desktop

and then everything that reflexively/transitively is pulled in to other
seeds due to gnome-shell is treated as if it's in desktop. It'd be a bit
of work to write this code, as this would require some deeper parsing of
germinate's output, but it could be done.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]