[packageset] Should ubuntu-desktop be uploader of desktop-core?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 26 19:14:59 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-26 19:50, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:
> Resending because apparently my mail settings are all kinds of wrong.
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 1:48 PM Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre
> <cyphermox at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 6:52 AM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi DMB,
>>>
>>> As a very recent ubuntu-desktop member, I have had a look at the related
>>> packagesets:
>>>
>>> - ubuntu-desktop
>>> - desktop-extra
>>> - desktop-core
>>>
>>> I see that ubuntu-desktop can upload packages in the desktop-extra set.
>>> Would it possibly be in line with the intentions to add ubuntu-desktop
>>> as an uploader of desktop-core too?
>>
>> The intent of desktop-core is to limit access to specific packages of
>> the Desktop seeds to Core Developers; where these packages have
>> special impacts on the deskop, or on other flavours. That's why the
>> sets of permissions are separate.
>>
>> Changing this would defeat its purpose. I rather we fix the possible
>> false-positives when they are identified, or fix the packageset
>> generation scripts if they need to be fixed.
>>
>> For example, 'network-manager' is a package that is under the purview
>> of the Desktop Team, but affects all flavours. That's why in the past
>> it has been required to have PPU upload rights or to be a Core
>> Developer to upload it.
>>
>> I have nothing against changing the story for these package uploads
>> and permissions per-se, but it ought to be appropriately discussed,
>> and probably voted on by the DMB; if things have changed sufficiently
>> that we think the distinction is no longer necessary.

Thanks for explaining. My thought was that, considering that most
desktoppers are coredevs anyway, maintaining those sets has not been
prioritized. But I'm apparently not in a position to argue too much.

As regards the upload rights for me personally, the sane-backends thing
I mentioned may result in one single bionic upload; I will find a
sponsor if needed. And the g-c-c was moved. I also have a personal
packageset as a supplement; just sync'ed fonts-noto-cjk by help of that.
I can't promise that you won't see a coredev application from me later
on, but for now I'm fine.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj