ubuntugnome packageset question

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.trudel-lapierre at canonical.com
Thu Sep 21 20:09:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> (moving to devel-permissions@, since more people can help there)
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:26:21AM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> > How is the ubuntugnome packageset generated?
>
> Quick drive-by pointer: scripts are at
> bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~developer-membership-board/+
> junk/packageset/

That's kind of irrelevant though. The jist of it is that it's made up of
what is seeded for the flavor, and not otherwise required for other flavors
(which may make source packages promoted to core or elsewhere).

I don't think you really need to worry about the packageset so much as
ensuring the upgrade process works correctly, especially since
ubuntu-gnome-desktop comes from ubuntu-gnome-meta (which is also based on
the seeds).

In my mind, the biggest thing there will be what to do about those who had
installed Ubuntu-GNOME in the past? Are you expecting them to be
transitioned automatically to Ubuntu-Desktop, with the UI changes that
could entail?

Assuming that is what you want, then you should be able to migrate the
ubuntu-gnome-meta to just do the transitional package, and create a new
metapackage for vanilla-gnome. That will need to be pointed to by
livecd-rootfs (as the ubuntu-gnome project builds using the
ubuntu-gnome-desktop task, etc.).

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <cyphermox at ubuntu.com <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/65B58DA1 818A D123 0992 275B 23C2  CF89 C67B B4D6 65B5 8DA1