The application of Jeremy Bicha for Core Developer - Q&A and Voting Thread

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Fri May 26 16:04:57 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Lukasz Zemczak
<lukasz.zemczak at canonical.com> wrote:
> 1) In your application you have mentioned that you'd like to work
> better in communicating and discussing work with the desktop team. Did
> this cause any issues so far? Could you give any examples?

During Ubuntu 16.10's release cycle, I updated several apps from GNOME
3.20 to 3.22 without discussing that with the rest of the Desktop Team
first. While I think the end result was fine (I don't think it hurt
Ubuntu 16.10's quality), I showed poor teamwork. For 17.04, I
discussed the GNOME upgrade (to 3.24) and got approval for it from the
Desktop Team before making the changes in Ubuntu.

For 17.10, GNOME and Ubuntu's release schedules have been adjusted
slightly so that there is more time for coordination and testing
before Ubuntu deadlines like Feature Freeze. I am working more closely
with the Desktop Team by participating in their meetings and seeking
consensus for this year's major decisions.

To summarize, I recognized that my behavior was problematic and I've
tried to change how I work so that there is less of a problem.

> 2) You also mentioned that you help out on transitions - did you
> partake in any so far? Which ones?

Here are a few examples:

- https://launchpad.net/bugs/1591528 (poppler - I needed sponsorship
for poppler itself)
- https://launchpad.net/bugs/1613291 (evolution-data-server, I might
have already had upload rights to all the pieces for this transition)
- https://launchpad.net/bugs/1643129 (system-config-printer merge that
required flavor seeds to be updated)
- https://launchpad.net/bugs/1666566 I did a lot of the rebuilds and
autopkgtest shepherding for the postgresql-9.6 transition

Thank you,
Jeremy Bicha