PPU application - Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 12 06:28:04 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-12 05:53, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 02/10/2014 03:42 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> On 2014-02-10 07:21, Micah Gersten wrote:
>>> We generally request a week's notice so that the application can be
>>> reviewed in advance.  Also, I notice that you don't have any
>>> endorsements from sponsors for this package, which is generally a
>>> prerequisite for PPU.  I would suggest taking the two weeks and getting
>>> at least one sponsored upload of ubuntu-docs (I didn't see one on the
>>> sponsorship miner [1]) and an endorsement from at least one sponsor of
>>> said package.
>>
>> I guess I'd better mention that the work flow with respect to
>> ubuntu-docs differs from 'normal' packages in the archive. There are
>> typically only two uploads per cycle: One at DocumentationStringFreeze
>> in order to pass the PO files to the translators, and one close to
>> FinalRelease when the translators are done. In the meantime everything
>> happens in the project branch lp:ubuntu-docs, to which I have commit
>> right. That explains why the one comment on the application is from
>> another member of ~ubuntu-core-doc who sponsored a number of my merge
>> proposals before I could commit myself.
>>
>> A few times in the past, there have been some confusion and
>> misunderstandings at release time, which for instance gave the
>> translators far too short time to do their part. Right now we are
>> improving the documentation of the ubuntu-docs release process in order
>> to minimize the risk for repeating past mistakes:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/ReleaseSchedule
>>
>> To do what you suggest, we would need to make an extra upload for the
>> sole purpose of supporting this application. I guess it's doable, but I
>> would still like to ask if that's really what you think should be done.
>>
>> Waiting until the 24th is not a problem, of course.
>
> Let us discuss this a bit internally and we'll get back to you.  I don't
> think a special upload to fulfill any perceived need is the way to go here.

A few doc team members are trying to minimize the risk for surprises
when it's time for the coming LTS release. We have concluded that an
extra upload for test purposes would be good, after all, so I will ask a
core developer to sponsor an upload and add a comment about it to the
application. Maybe that can help.

Since everything has already been committed to the project branch, it
won't be a typical sponsored upload, but it might still serve as some
kind of evidence that I know the package and its impact on the work of
the translation team pretty well.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj