Applying for Xubuntu Packageset and MOTU by email

Jackson Doak noskcaj at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 31 19:25:29 UTC 2013

Thanks Iain.

>Do you mind if I re-direct this thead to devel-permissions?
why would i?

> - Can you tell us about Ubuntu's freezes? Which ones exist, how you
>   find out when they are and how they might affect what you upload?
The freezes affect what can be uploaded, and how. The Debian import freeze
means automatic syncs stop happening, The feature freeze means that all
non-bugfix uploads have to be approved by the release team, The final
freeze means that there should be non uploads except very high priority
bugfixes, and you shouldn't upload around beta and alpha releases.

>  As a MOTU or indeed as a Xubuntu developer, are there any times
>  (outside of the freezes listed above) when you shouldn't upload a
>  particular package? How would you check when and what shouldn't be
>  uploaded?

When the upload is proven to be buggy, when the upload will FTBFS, when
another (upstream/debian/ubuntu) dev has requested that you don't, when the
upload requires a transition or has large API changes and you've not fully
checked the related packages.

>   It's a bit concerning to me that uploads might happen without even
>    build testing (let alone runtime testing)—how can you improve on
>    this?

My internet is slightly better now (less random crashes, now 500kbps), but
i still stay away from larger packages. My hardware has also not allowed me
to do much, since it's a slow, old laptop. I recently got a $200 grant from
linux au to finish my dev PC, which will make test building far easier, and
i'll be able to test run more important packages, as well as test build on
PPC.

> Also inspired by pitti: How do you check that a merge you're
> performing doesn't drop any changes we need to keep?

Reading the changelog, reading the diff shown on the debian PTS, and if
there are a lot of changes, debdiff against the old ubuntu version.