Ubuntu Contributing Developer Application : Marc Cluet

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 21 19:44:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Marc Cluet <marc.cluet at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > You can find the application in the
> > wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarcCluet/UbuntuContributingDeveloper
>
> The result of this application was a split vote.
> +1:  maco, bdrung, stgraber
> +0: geser (later noted that with LP account merger, more sponsored
> uploads showed up, but still on the fence, like +0.5, if possible)
> -1: cody-somerville
>
> For a total of +2.  Debate followed about whether majority-of-board or
> majority-of-quorum-present was needed. Temporary resolution was to ask
> here for Laney & persia to give their votes.

Provided I'm remembering correctly (and I believe I am), we previously
discussed and agreed that the sum of all the votes must be +4 (its
unfortunate we didn't document it but I don't think it'll be difficulty to
find the relevant e-mail thread or IRC discussion).
Furthermore, we've currently set a precedent where if the result of an
application could be positively changed by the votes of non-present members
we defer to the mailing list to permit vote by e-mail and where the
application could be negatively changed we just assume +0 votes.

Effectively this means that board members who wish to see the application
accepted can vote +1 to positively effect the application, members who do
not feel comfortable either way can vote +0 to have a neutral effect (this
is not a 'non-vote'), and members who are not comfortable with accepting the
application can vote -1. I believe this system is fair and I am in favour of
keeping it - every vote (even +0) is meaningful and its not possible for one
board member to veto but it is possible for a board member to raise the
barrier of entry if they have concerns (ie. -1) and to not help (but not
necessarily hinder) if they're unsure (ie. +0).

Here are some example scenarios:

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 = +7 - candidate accepted
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +0 = +6 - candidate accepted
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 -1 = +5 - candidate accepted
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +0 +0 = +5 - candidate accepted
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +0 -1 = +4 - candidate accepted
+1 +1 +1 +1 +0 +0 +0 = +4 - candidate accepted
+1 +1 +1 +1 +0 +0 -1 = +3 - candidate not accepted
+1 +1 +1 +0 +0 +0 -1 = +2 - candidate not accepted
-1 -1 +0 +0 +0 +1 +1 =  +0 - candidate not accepted
-1 -1 -1 -1 +1 +1 +1 =  -1 - candidate not accepted

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Release Engineer