Homebrew packages for OS X updated for 2.7.0

Fred McCann fred at sharpnoodles.com
Fri Feb 19 01:23:12 UTC 2016

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 2:01 PM, Vincent Ladeuil <v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> bzr-builder: stable 0.7.3
>> bzr-colo: stable 0.4.0
>> bzr-rewrite: stable 0.6.3
>
> Do you have branches/revisions references for that ?
>
> Any kind of revision will do: revno, revision-id, tag, as long as there
> is a public branch for that.

All of these have stable releases that appear to be working with bzr 2.7.0. Landing them in homebrew is just a matter of getting some approvals. bzr-rewrite has now been accepted.

>> bzr-stats
>
> That one is not working ? Wow, that's quite a surprise. What's the issue ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-stats/+bug/1545883

$> bzr stats
getting ancestry
bzr: ERROR: exceptions.AttributeError: 'CHKInventoryRepository' object has no attribute 'get_ancestry'

>> bzr-bisect
>> bzr-difftools
>> bzr-extmerge
>
> Branches/revisions references ?
>
>> Is there any chance we can get releases cut for the last three?
>
> It mainly depends on how far the branches/revisions you've used are
> close to released versions and whether the maintainers are willing to
> make new releases.
>
> There are various places where tarballs are hosted in addition to
> launchpad: debian, ubuntu, pypi...
>
> If the packages have no maintainers but are not (yet) uploaded to pypi,
> tagging a revision, pushing it to launchpad and uploading to pypi may be
> the path of least resistance.
>
>     Vincent

I just took over bzr-extmerge, merged some very long standing proposals, and cut a release. It seems like this is still a core plugin (it’s referenced in the documentation: http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-guide/resolving_conflicts.html), but it also had never had a formal release.

I also pushed that out as a package to the homebrew folks for bzr-extmerge, and it’s pending approval.

While I was poking around, I also noticed that bzrtools latest release is not working with bzr 2.7.0:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzrtools/+bug/1547121

$> bzr branch-history

Plugin "Bzrtools" is not up to date with installed Bazaar version 2.7.0.
There should be a newer version of Bzrtools available, e.g. 2.7.

I admit, I’m new on the dev side of things, but I’m willing to pitch in to make 2.7.0 + whatever plugins stable. On the topic of plugins, it does seem like the list of plugins on the bzr wiki is out of date:

http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/BzrPlugins

I’m still working through these, but it seems like quite a few are abandoned and in some case have been rolled into bzr core. How can we get that cleaned up? It’s lousy advertising to list very old plugins that don’t work anymore.

Also, is there any plan/way to suggest that we look into rolling some fundamental plugins like xmloutput, bzrtools (or some portion of it), bisect, extmerge, etc into the core bzr codebase? It seems like quite a few critical batteries are not included in the box.

- Fred McCann
fred at sharpnoodles.com