Releasing 2.6 [Was: bzr-hookless-email doesn't work with bzr 2.6]

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio asb at debian.org
Sat May 25 20:55:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM, John Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> That is actually one of the big reasons why 2.6 hasn't happened yet.  All
> the core devs (like me) just run from the tip of trunk. So we don't feel the
> need for a release to get the functionality we put into it. The other
> problem was some internal restructuring at Canonical. The team that focussed
> on Bazaar was focusing elsewhere, and we were trying to help other teams to
> do a release so that the knowledge would be spread over more people.
> However, after many rounds if "sure, we'll do it," but not actually managing
> to coordinate it, I'm looking to just do a release. I want to land the
> connection-reset patch I have for 2.4, and then do snapshot releases of
> 2.4,5,6b4. And then hopefully no changes for a 2.6.0-final release.

Great news!

> Hopefully we can poke Jelmer one more time to get 2.6.0 into Debian.

I'm a member of the pkg-bazaar team in Debian, and I can make sure the
release is uploaded to both Debian and Ubuntu.

> If someone wants to help do the release, all the docs of how to do it are in
> doc/developers/releasing.txt

I'd be willing to help with that process any way I can. I if I'm
reading that right, we'll need a Canonical sysadmin to open up a new
2.7dev branch as the next release will hopefully be the final beta.

BTW: While doing a local dry run for some of the tasks in
releasing.txt, I notice that bzr-2.6b2 was never actually tagged in
the branch...

Thanks!

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>