Bzr development stopped

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Nov 30 18:48:08 UTC 2012

On Nov 30, 2012, at 05:50 PM, Russel Winder wrote:

>Sorry if I gave a different impression, but yes Launchpad dropped
>Mercurial importing because bzr-hg was flaky, but them dropping it
>rather than fixing it is what has effectively killed bzr-hg.

I'm not sure it is the Launchpad developers responsibility to fix bzr-hg.

>From the tone of various messages in this thread it seems that Bazaar
>will not evolve further which means it is a dead end DVCS. This implies
>Launchpad is a dead end, which would imply Ubuntu doesn't rely on Bazaar
>or Launchpad, or is…

I don't agree with this.

* Bazaar is free software so it can definitely evolve further, and easily so,
  even without Canonical's support, involvement, or knowledge.  All it takes
  is a group of motivated hackers with the vision and resources to fork it and
  move it forward.  FLOSS FTW.

* Launchpad is the hub of Ubuntu development, and while it isn't dependent on
  Bazaar, I think it's a very compelling combination, without which, Ubuntu
  development would be much more difficult and of much lower velocity.  I
  can't imagine Ubuntu development without Launchpad, and I am convinced that
  developing for Ubuntu is easier than say developing for Debian, because of
  Launchpad.

* I don't speak for Canonical here, but my sense of it is that Canonical
  thinks the Launchpad+Bazaar ecosystem is Good Enough For Now to support
  Ubuntu development.  In all honesty, living in this world 8 hours a day, I'd
  have to largely agree.  From that perspective, reducing the 795 package
  import failures is more important to me than adding new features to Bazaar.

>In any event I am likely to migrate all my remaining Bazaar branches to
>Git or Mercurial on either BitBucket or GitHub. Sad after 8 years of
>Bazaar use, but a pragmatic reality. Collaborators know, or at least
>know of, Git or Mercurial but not Bazaar.

I also think that Launchpad+Bazaar is Good Enough for code hosting projects
not related to Ubuntu, and I am not planning on moving any of my projects off
of either any time soon.

In my experience, new contributors to my projects have more trouble moving
from a centralized world to a distributed world, than in learning the handful
of commands and techniques to branch, commit, push, merge, and propose.  I
remember that cognitive hump myself.  A little bit of IRC or email help
usually gets them over that hump, so I have not found our choice of code
hosting provider or dvcs to be a detriment to contributions.

I'll let the future decide itself.

Cheers,
-Barry