Bzr development stopped

Nicholas Allen nick.allen at onlinehome.de
Mon Nov 26 10:59:57 UTC 2012

On 11/25/2012 08:36 AM, Michael Haggerty wrote:
> On 11/24/2012 03:58 PM, Nicholas Allen wrote:
>> I think git is a nice version control system but I could never use it
>> because it lacks formal rename support and this is very important as a
>> Java developer. Bazaar is the only distributed version control system
>> that does this well.
> FWIW, we use git at work on a large Java project and have so far never
> had a problem with git's approach of detecting file renaming and copying
> on the fly.  Git's approach also has the advantage that it does not rely
> on the user's using a special command to rename the file.  I would
> expect that it is more common for users to forget to use the rename
> command than it is for git to mis-detect renames itself.
I just don't trust git's approach at all. In Java each class has a file
and that is the intent so renaming a class should rename the file. We
use IDE/file manager integration so there's no chance the user forgets
to rename the file when renaming a class. The file is the object I want
to track because it represents the class. I don't want to have some
intelligent algorithm that will have edge cases where it doesn't work
try to determine what I was trying to do when I know exactly what I'm
doing and can tell the system easily enough (with Bazaar I don't even
think about it because that happens automatically).

I want a version control system to record as much as possible. It's
always possible to infer things after the fact from the data but I want
the data that's input to contain as much info as it can. git doesn't let
me do that but bzr does.

I'm really interested in the veracity project as they have a really
slick windows tortoise thing, distributed bug manager and wiki, plan to
support nested projects etc. They've come a really long way in one year
and the built in web ui is great. I just hope they add the few missing
features that I really need then I would switch...

Nick