Bzr development stopped

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 14 04:08:08 UTC 2012

Martin Pool writes:

 > bzr commit --author exists.

Ah, I didn't know about that, sorry.  (commit is one of the commands I
never have to read help for. ;-)  hg definitely didn't have it when
XEmacs switched, though.

 > Bazaar has always credited people in the NEWS, erring towards
 > inclusion.

Sure.  But the whole question here is what a hypothetical successor to
you *could* do.  I'm sure nobody who objects to the contributor
agreement thinks *you* have *any* "evil" intentions, and if Canonical
has released any proprietary versions of Bazaar, I haven't heard about
it.

Nevertheless, several list members object to the agreement, none of
the Canonical employees working on Bazaar have defended it, and one
person (so far) has testified that he surely would have produced
patches if the contributor agreement didn't permit Canonical to
license his work under proprietary terms.

I understand why nevertheless it probably isn't going to go away soon,
so it's important to figure out if it's really hindering contributions
and if so, if there's anything to do to make it easier for refuseniks
to contribute.