Bzr development stopped

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Sat Sep 1 14:48:32 UTC 2012

Frits Jalvingh <jal at etc.to> writes:

> Of course it is easy to nag because I'm not contributing either

One of the biggest points holding back development is the barrier of a
one-sided contribution agreement.

    <URL:http://www.canonical.com/contributors>

It's great to have Bazaar under the GPL, ensuring further redistribution
is always under the GPL. But Canonical is not content with equal
treatment and insists code contributors give them special rights to
relicense under non-free terms – breaking the equality essential to
software freedom.

    <URL:http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/simon-says/2010/08/on-contributor-agreements/index.htm>

This is surely limiting the pool of developers on Bazaar.

    <URL:http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2011/07/why-i-would-not-sign-a-harmony-agreement/>

> but this worries me; I still am happiest with Bazaar despite all it's
> shortcomings, I would hate to have to move to something else 8-/

Me too, agreed on all points. I dearly hope Canonical can be convinced –
ideally by its developers and employees – to release its contributors
from the agreement that keeps development of Bazaar (and other software)
a funnel of exclusive rights to Canonical.

--
 \         “I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the |
  `\                                               best.” —Oscar Wilde |