Branching from just a part of a repository?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Aug 30 16:13:04 UTC 2012

> The problem is bzr versions trees, not individual files, so doing what
> you ask in bzr's model amounts to rewriting history.  So starting fresh

You could probably still support such a feature with Bzr's model using
an approach similar to the "ghost revisions" or the stacked branches:
you'd copy the branch to a new repository with the same revids and
fileids, but where some fileids would be like dangling references, so
that repository would not let you view the complete branch.

I doubt there's much interest in the Bzr community to try and solve this
problem, so don't hold your breath.
[ and since Bzr development seems to have pretty much stopped anyway, even if
  there were interest it would be very unlikely to see the light of day ;-) ]

        Stefan