How to fix "dangling branch reference"

Carlos Mundi cmundi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 19:15:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

Now that I'm a little wiser (thanks to Max) I will re-ask my question.

I have a heavyweight checkout of a branch.  The branch has "gone away."  I
would like to 'unbind' my checkout so that I can 'push' it to a new branch.
 But 'bzr unbind'  fails with... wait for it... a "dangling branch
reference" message.

So how can I sever this dangling branch reference so that my checkout acts
like a regular branch?  A bzr built-in command would be great, but I am
happy to follow filesystem-level procedures.  (On a copy of the checkout
folder of course!)

Thanks,
Carlos