bzr resolve

Vincent Ladeuil vila+bzr at canonical.com
Thu Jul 26 06:30:20 UTC 2012

    > Bosco Rama <bzr at boscorama.com> writes:
    >> It's not the conflicts I was worried about.  It's the ability to stop a
    >> conflicted file from having the 'committed' version looking like this:

    > The way to stop that is not to use ‘resolve’ in that case. By using that
    > command, you're telling Bazaar that you know the conflict is resolved,
    > regardless of Bazaar's opinion.

There are valid cases where what looks like conflict markers generated
by bzr are in fact a valid part of the file. Using 'bzr resolve' on such
files is the escape path (as in: "Hey, bzr, do as you are told, this
file is *not* conflicted), so, by design, 'resolve' is not meant to
check whether a file contains conflict markers or not.

As such, as Ben says, you should not use 'resolve' in these cases. As
John said, 'bzr status' and 'bzr conflicts' will tell you which files
are conflicted and are the recommended commands to query bzr about the
existing conflicts.

    Vincent