Windows installer for bzr 2.5.1

John Arbash Meinel john.meinel at canonical.com
Thu Jun 14 14:21:28 UTC 2012

> Those are some pretty hairy instructions. Any idea why TortoiseBzr
>  can't be compiled with Visual Studio Express?

We have to cross compile it for 64-bit. Which you can do with Express,
but you have to download a specific SDK, etc that I personally haven't
tracked down. I know it is possible, but it is not trivial by any
means. (You can run 32-bit python on windows 64-bit, but you have to
use a 64-bit dll to integrate with explorer.)

> I'm guessing that is probably slightly out of date, but close.
>
> The last time I set up the EC2 instance, it took me at least a
> full day. garyvdm was working to set up his own local instance
> (afaik he never completed), we've considered setting up something
> on Babune (never completed), etc.
>

> I'm surprised that you have to do all this setup over and over
> again. Why can't you just take a snapshot of the machine state and
>  storage after you've setup everything? Theoretically then the only
>  things that should need updating are downloading/installing the
> new bzr and plugins packages that are to be incorporated into the
> installer.

We have a snapshot that we use for building, but it is an EC2
instance, and because we are using a licensed version of Visual
Studio, I'm not comfortable making it a public AMI.

> We've tried to make it easier to get the installers built a few
> times. What really worked in the end is "launch this EC2 image, do
>  the build", because everything else is just really hard to get
> bootstrapped.
>

> So, you do have a snapshot of the EC2 instance in a semi-prepped
> state?
>
> Ciao, Gordon

Right. I was outlining what it would take to get someone else
bootstrapped for the first time. I believe Martin said it took him
1.5hrs to do the build, including the time needed to remember the
steps, etc.

That's generally what I remember, except for when a plugin is broken
vs a specific new version of bzr, etc.