What is the purpose of `rmbranch` command?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Wed May 16 10:53:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 09:01:52AM +0200, Vincent Ladeuil wrote:

>     > Hi Alexander,
>     > On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 06:20:12PM +0300, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>     >> I thought `rmbranch` should delete a branch from remote server.
>
>     >> It does delete branch (e.g. from shared repository) but leaves .bzr
>     >> control directory there intact.
>     > Right, it just deletes the branch, not the control directory.
>
>     >> According to `rmbranch` help it should keep any working tree or
>     >> repository in place. OK, that's good.
>
>     >> But if there is neither working tree nor repository, why don't
>     >> delete an empty control directory?
>     > A control directory can have multiple branches. rmbranch is useful
>     > mostly for colocated branches.
>
>     > I don't think having a separate command for removing a control
>     > directory would be particularly useful - it's already possible to just
>     > remove the directory using e.g. the shell.
>
> I don't think Alexander asked for a separate command. Instead, AIUI, his
> point is that it makes little sense to remove the branch and leave an
> otherwise *empty* control directory (not to mention other possible bugs
> when trying to interact with this empty directory).
This isn't always the case though - there can be other colocated
branches, a repository or a working tree. We have no way to remove a
repository for example.

As far as I understand this would unversion the current directory, which
would seem a bit odd. Am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers,

Jelmer