What is the purpose of `rmbranch` command?

Vincent Ladeuil vila+bzr at canonical.com
Wed May 16 07:01:52 UTC 2012

    > Hi Alexander,
    > On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 06:20:12PM +0300, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
    >> I thought `rmbranch` should delete a branch from remote server.

    >> It does delete branch (e.g. from shared repository) but leaves .bzr
    >> control directory there intact.
    > Right, it just deletes the branch, not the control directory.

    >> According to `rmbranch` help it should keep any working tree or
    >> repository in place. OK, that's good.

    >> But if there is neither working tree nor repository, why don't
    >> delete an empty control directory?
    > A control directory can have multiple branches. rmbranch is useful
    > mostly for colocated branches.

    > I don't think having a separate command for removing a control
    > directory would be particularly useful - it's already possible to just
    > remove the directory using e.g. the shell.

I don't think Alexander asked for a separate command. Instead, AIUI, his
point is that it makes little sense to remove the branch and leave an
otherwise *empty* control directory (not to mention other possible bugs
when trying to interact with this empty directory).

@bialix: worth filing a bug so we don't forget this.

         Vincent