Fetching a newly created branch via bzr-git

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Apr 27 14:26:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:09:16AM -0400, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Sure, but we can't simply import the HEAD branch to master.  Ideally
> > symbolic refs would be imported as branch references in bzr, but
> > bzr-git doesn't support that. Patches to that extend welcome. :)
> I think the point I'm trying to make is that HEAD is a special case. It's
> not actually a separate branch in the repo. If it's a symref, then AFAIK
> all that means is that the default branch for that repo is what it's
> pointing to.

> If I understand the way Git works, normally there should never
> be a separate branch called HEAD/default. It should be used to make one of
> the existing branches the default in the bzr repo.

HEAD doesn't have to be a symref, it can actually be a separate branch.
Just as other refs (refs/heads/master for example) can also be symrefs.
So HEAD isn't really special other than that it is the active branch
for the working tree.

At the moment, bzr-git simply ignores the fact that some things are
symrefs. They should be converted to lightweight checkouts but we
haven't added the code for that yet. Again, patches welcome. :)

Cheers,

Jelmer