Bazaar Mercurial Plugin to access BitBucket

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Oct 26 02:27:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:07:53PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Barry Warsaw, and lo! it spake thus:

> I have a vague feeling that colocated branches are preferred by
> folks working on large compiled language code bases, but personally,
> I don't see the attraction or advantage of them.

One good reason is the broad category of "any time creating a new
directory entails significant overhead", which can be of many times.
A large compiled setup like OpenOffice is one case, where you can
avoid massive swathes of rebuilding assuming your dependancy tracking
is good (and if it isn't, you should be working on that rather than
switching branches anyway ;).

Another is any sufficiently large project, so that the cost (disk
space, I/O, wall time) of making a new working tree is burdensome.

A third is where there are external things that depend on the
location.  For instance, my day job is web stuff; if I make a new
branch, I have to make new symlinks so I can hit the new dir via the
web server.  I have to whack a bunch of permissions on directories
that cache stuff and the web user needs to write to.  And not so
specific to that niche, I have half a dozen xterms I need to run a "cd
../../../../../../../../../../newdir/[...]" in to switch what I'm
working in.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net