Announcing bzr-tiplog

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Sep 23 22:44:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 08:33:37AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Brian de Alwis <briandealwis at gmail.com> writes:
> > Tiplog records the history of the tip of a branch. The plugin adds new
> > command called 'tiplog' (aliased to 'reflog' too) to show the tip
> > history for a particular branch. The plugin adds a new revspec 'tip:i'
> > to reference the i'th tip revision; tip:0 is the current tip.

> > With tiplog, you no longer have to remember to record the previous
> > tip. It's particularly useful for backing out a change that you've
> > pulled into a branch such as a plugin update that's causing massive
> > breakage.

> I don't understand, even after reading the example session. The above
> description assumes that I know what Git does with its ‘reflog’.

> What's the distinction between “the tip history of a branch” versus “the
> history of a branch”? What does it mean to “record the previous tip”,
> and why would we want to do that?
It's basically a log of the revisions that have been the tip of a
particular branch.

If you are currently working at revision 20, and then run 'bzr pull'
which pulls in revision 40, "bzr tiplog" will tell you that you were
previously at r20.

There are various use cases for this. One example is when you are
tracking an upstream branch that introduces a regression. "bzr tiplog"
allows you to know what revision you were previously running that
worked ok.

Another use case is that you can easily go back to the previous tip
after an uncommit:

$ bzr pull -r tip:1 .

Cheers,

Jelmer