Dulwich C extensions and stand-alone Windows installation of bzr

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sun Sep 4 05:52:50 UTC 2011

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-git/+bug/839483 for the background.

It turns out that there's no documented way of installing Dulwich with
C extensions on MS-Windows where bzr was installed with the
stand-alone installer.  I understand that without these extensions
bzr-git performance "sucks".

Is it possible to have instructions for doing that manually?  I'm
guessing that doing so would involve compiling the *.c files that come
with Dulwich into some kind of a DLL, is that right?  Can that be done
with MinGW GCC (as opposed to MSVC)?  Can someone please show the
command line for invoking the compiler, and instructions for where to
put the DLL?

If manual compilation is impossible, or if only MSVC is supported for
that, would it be possible to have this DLL available somewhere, if
not bundled with the stand-alone installer?

TIA