Meaning of "--no-foo"

Eric Siegerman lists08-bzr at davor.org
Sat May 14 01:54:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 15:24 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Right, that's what it's supposed to do.  [--no-remember] means "ignore
any --remember
> options I may have set previously, and use the default behaviour".

Really?  That seems counterintuitive.  I've always assumed that
"--no-foo" meant "do the opposite of --foo".  If it doesn't, well
that's just weird.

Besides, what's the use case for a command line option that says
"revert to default"?  If I'm bothering to specify the option,
it's because I want to change what, *for me* (and considering any
preconfigured options) is the default.  I (a) should have a way
to do that, and (b) shouldn't have to remember whether the thing
that usually happens is because it's the hard-coded default, or
because I long ago configured it that way in some config file.

It seems to me that "--no-foo" should mean just what it says:
"don't do foo".

  - Eric