PyPy and bzr

Wouter van Heyst larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org
Fri May 13 21:12:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 02:49:13 +0900, INADA Naoki wrote:
> One thing I found is that bzrlib.export.tgz_exporter depends on CPython's
> refcount behavior.
> It opens a file and pass to gzip.GZipFile, then pass it to tarfile.open.
> gzip.GZipFile.close() doesn't close passed stream and tarball.close() also.
> So we should close the file explicitly.

Before I fall asleep, I put up https://code.launchpad.net/~larstiq/bzr/bzr-pypy
which makes the export and test_pack blackbox tests pass on pypy.

The test_pack one was a straightforward application of with(), but the
export one is a bit more intricate.  _run_bzr_core() in bzrlib/tests/__init.py
does:

    out = stdout.getvalue()

which, since I'm sleepy, I decided to whack with the blunt is_stdout
boolean.

HTH,
Wouter van Heyst

P.S. to test I downloaded the Linux 32bit pypy-with-jit:
    http://pypy.org/download/pypy-1.5-linux.tar.bz2

See http://pypy.org/download.html for other options.