[RFC] I want to disable submit_branch on my computer for all branches. How can I do that?

Aaron Bentley aaron at aaronbentley.com
Fri May 13 15:45:55 UTC 2011

On 11-05-13 11:22 AM, Marco Pantaleoni wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com
> --no-remember is an auto-generated option not listed in help.  The
> idea
> was that if you know what a --no- option does, you could guess that
> there's a --no-remember variant of --remember, and what it does.  So you
> won't be surprised.
>

>> but as a user, I could ignore if "--option" is on by default or not.

How could you ignore that?  bzr would never do what you wanted if you
didn't know what the default behaviour was.

>> could just want to make sure that I turn it off, maybe using a shell
>> alias to take into account even possible future changes in the default
>> behavior. If "--no-" means "revert to default", I can't be positively
>> sure that the command does what I mean (ok, I can by reading the docs
>> for every bazaar release...).

The --no- variants always produce the same behaviour.  If we made commit
- --strict the default, --no-strict would become the listed option, and
- --strict would revert to that new default behaviour.

> We only list the variant of the option that is not on by default, and it
> is typically the plain version, not the --no- version.
>

>> if "typically" == "always", than I'm ok (not enthusiast, but ok) with
>> the "--no-" means default,
>> but if "typically" != "always" than I'm not convinced.

We can't do it in all cases, for the reasons given above.  It would be
crazy to have commit --strict mean "don't do a strict commit."

>> this is true, but so I think we'd need something else to forcibly
>> disable the option behaviour

That's not something we can autogenerate, like --no- or --default-.  It
doesn't apply to every boolean option, and it would be additional work.

>> (if "--no-" remains there with the current
>> meaning, than I think we'd need a "--dont-", but *this* is getting
>> bikesheddy). I find more natural "--default-" to mean default, and
>> "--no-" to mean no.

Sure, but changing the meaning of --no- breaks commandline
compatibility, which we are reluctant to do.

Aaron