[RFC] I want to disable submit_branch on my computer for all branches. How can I do that?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri May 13 07:22:57 UTC 2011

> > Let's see:
> >
> > no exiting setting:
> > * default: current setting is stored,
> > * --remember: current setting is stored,
> > * --no-remember: current setting is not stored
> >
> > existing setting:
> > * default: current setting is *not* stored,
> > * --remember: current setting is stored
> > * --no-remember: current setting is not stored
> >
> > Yes, I cheated, I used None, True, False, thanks python :)
> >
> > Does that work for you ?
>
> I don't like it, because it breaks "merge --remember --no-remember" when
> there's no existing setting.

I'd actually go a bit further than Vincent and say that perhaps remembering
things depending on whether there is already a default is complicating the
user model more than is worth while for the convenience.

How about instead:

Locations are never remembered by default. (Perhaps they should be set while
calving branching.)

With --remember (can be canceled with --no), the location is stored as the
default.

With --no-default-location (also can be canceled), the command fails if no
explicit location is given.