bzr add target repository specification (was: Windows file locking with bzr 2.2.3)

W. Trevor King wking at drexel.edu
Thu Feb 24 22:49:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 05:23:00PM -0500, W. Trevor King wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 04:17:29PM -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> > The only reason it wasn't working for 'cmd_add' was because you were
> > specifying the location 2 times. One as a read source, and one as a
> > write source.
>
> Ah, so it's:
>
>   1) I'm adding files from an explicit (external) repository (at
>      `file_ids_from`), let's get a read lock there.
>   2) I'm adding files to the current repository ('.'), let's get a
>      write lock there. *crash*
>
> If so, that's troublesome.  My intention in using `file_ids_from` was
> to set the donor repository, not the acceptor.  I suppose that the
> acceptor is assumed from the current working directory?  How would you
> add a new file stored in repository B's directory while working from
> repository A's directory?  Or do you need to explicitly change
> directories before the call?

Obviously for this to work, B would have to be nested inside A.  As an
explicit example:

    tmp $ mkdir a
    tmp $ cd a
    a $ bzr init
    Created a standalone tree (format: 2a)
    a $ mkdir b
    a $ cd b
    b $ bzr init
    Created a standalone tree (format: 2a)
    b $ touch c
    b $ cd ..
    a $ bzr add b/c
    adding c
    a $ bzr status
    unknown:
      b/
    a $ cd b
    b $ bzr status
    added:

When I was trying to add the file `b/c` to the repository at `a`.  Is
there a way to do this?

--
This email may be signed or encrypted with GPG (http://www.gnupg.org).
The GPG signature (if present) will be attached as 'signature.asc'.

My public key is at http://www.physics.drexel.edu/~wking/pubkey.txt