Restoring history of a "bzr remove"d file

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Feb 5 22:00:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 01:09:47PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Eli Zaretskii, and lo! it spake thus:

>   . Reverse cherry-pick (with "bzr merge -r R1..R2") the offending
>     revisions.
>   . "bzr revert" everything except the file that was moved.
>   . "bzr rm" the file in its new directory.
>   . "bzr mv" the file from the old to the new directory.
>   . "bzr commit"
>
> Is there a better way of doing the above?

That sounds like a very roundabout thing to do...

Wouldn't it be simpler to

o bzr revert -rREV_BEFORE_DELETION old/file
o bzr rm new/file   # possibly stashing a copy if there were changes
o bzr mv old/file new/file
o bzr commit

What's the call for fiddling with merge anyway?

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net