Restoring history of a "bzr remove"d file

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sat Feb 5 15:23:06 UTC 2011

> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 08:44:04 -0500
> From: Forest Bond <forest at alittletooquiet.net>
> Cc: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
> Jabber-ID: forestatq at jabber.org
>
> > >   bzr merge -r R1..R2 old-path
> > >   rm new-path                       # OR bzr merge --force -r R1..R2 new-path
> > >   bzr mv old-path new-path
> > >   bzr commit
>
> Sorry, "rm new-path" is not sufficient, you have to do "bzr rm new-path".
>
> > Thanks.  But would old-path exist without "bzr revert"?  That is,
> > would "bzr merge" reintroduce it in its old place and remove it in its
> > new place?
>
> It would if R1 > R2 (i.e. you are doing a reverse merge) since that would merge
> the old revision contents in and old-path exists in the older revision.

Thanks.

So in a nutshell, you are saying that instead

  bzr merge -r R1..R2
  bzr revert <many files>

it is easier to do

  bzr merge -r R1..R2 old-path

which will do the same for old-path/new-path problems, but save us the
effort of reverting a long list of files that we have no reason to
touch, is that right?