BitBucket equivalent for private Bazaar repos/projects

David Muir davidkmuir at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 07:42:53 UTC 2011

On 21/01/11 18:11, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
> On 21/01/2011 09:12, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>> I can say only that my understanding about Launchpad that Launchpad
>> is the hub for
>> open-source projects and Ubuntu as major user. So I'm not surprised
>> there is no visible
>> support for private closed-source projects.
>
> Is the page I linked to out of date? (It have been updated in the
> middle of the last year.)
> Or did I misunderstood its content?
> I went to it with something like two clicks from the Launchpad home
> page, so it isn't really hidden.

Really? I was looking for it last week and it took me a good 5-10
minutes before I found it. I tried again today, and you're right, it's
not far removed (3 clicks), but it's not clear at all where you'd find
the answer from the front page. (hint: you won't "Find answers" if you
"Read the user's guide", but "Take the tour" instead)

I just added a link in
https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/9583
So my little clever hint above isn't entirely true anymore...

> On 20/01/2011 22:05, Martin Pool wrote:
> > I think Launchpad should offer free hosting for small private projects
> > too.  We'll see if that can be done.
>
> Now, that's interesting. I find the price given on the FAQ #208 page a
> bit high, correct for large private projects, but high for small
> projects.
>
> I favor open source, of course, but I can understand some people just
> want to work on closed source freewares (I use a number of them
> (Windows) regularly and appreciate them, for example the excellent
> BabelMap), or sometime I work on some private plug-in (for Zen Cart
> for example) that I would prefer to keep non open (eg. it might
> content some sensible information, like e-mails, passwords in config
> files, or similar).
>
> I wouldn't mind limitations on such free hosting, from size to
> bandwidth limitation, as I expect low volume anyway.

The price also turned me away. It's a good deal, when you look at the
features you get, but if all you're wanting is private branch hosting,
it's a bit much compared with Bitbucket's free account. I'd be stoked if
Launchpad adds free private hosting!

Cheers,
David