MemoryError in 2.2.0 in odd case: Can I reduce memory requirements?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sat Jan 15 04:51:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 06:30:29PM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 07:11:40PM -0500 I heard the voice of
> Doug Lee, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > I did a cvsup from that tag today and only see through python25.

> Well, maybe it's longer ago than I thought.  Oh well.  2.5's still a
> good step forward.

> > So which thing should I try bumping to increase heap space?  I should
> > know this, but I seem not to...

> That's the MAXDSIZ:

> > > This is an in-kernel limit; i386 uses 512 meg as a default data size
> > > limit.  You can tune this with the MAXDSIZ option in the kernel
> > > config.  Actually, I think it's a loader tunable in some later
> > > versions, but I doubt for 4.  But if you've got the RAM, you can bump
> > > it to a gig or so without worries.

In case it helps anyone else, a summary of what happened since this
discussion:

Tried increasing MAXDSIZ to 1024 meg before discovering that the box I
thought had 2 gig only has 512 meg of memory in the first place.
(This is FreeBSD and does not run X or any other huge process.)

Managed to install Pyrex 0.9.9, then used that to compile all
extensions, but not without hiccups:  gcc 2.9.4 (came on the box)
would not compile groupcompress, so I used gcc 3.4.6; and
dirstate_helpers wanted stdint.h, so I grabbed a copy of that from a
Mac Mini, removed intptr_t and uintptr_t defs to avoid collisions, and
thus shoehorned dirstate_helpers through.

But all that did not fix my problem:  A `bzr push' of a large delta
still crashes.  Now I do not see a MemoryError in the log file though;
I get "return code 0" but on the Windows (pushing box) I get "invalid
argument" and the push fails in practice.

I believe this means I have a repository that can't work in less than
512 meg of physical memory, which is quite a requirement.

Further advice welcome and sorry for the length of this thread.

SSB BART Group           doug.lee at ssbbartgroup.com   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com