Multiple program crashes under Windows 7

Eric Siegerman lists08-bzr at davor.org
Fri Jan 7 21:49:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 10:45 +0100, Krilin Wantun wrote:
> Well, I get a windows message "Program bazaar crashed" with options:
> wait / end program / debug

This is only wild speculation, since I use Bazaar from the *nix
or Cygwin command line (not Explorer, not Windows native, and
I've never used Windows 7 at all); but here goes...

Maybe Bazaar hasn't crashed at all, but is just taking a really
long time to perform some action, and Windows is misinterpreting
that unresponsiveness as a hung process (or the Windows
equivalent thereof), which it then inaccurately describes as a
"crash".

Do you recall just what Bazaar was doing when you got those
"program crashed" messages?

Try hitting "Wait" a few times to see if that gives it enough
times to complete whatever it's doing.

Looking a bit more deeply:  if (big "if" :-/) I interpret your
bzr.log correctly, it seems that the subprocesses (qcommit, log,
qpush, help, and any associated qsubprocess's) all exited with
status 0; it's the first two Explorer processes that vanish
without a trace.  (The third one might do as well, but just as
likely is that it was still running when you captured the log.)

I wonder whether Explorer ever does any long-duration work
in-process; if its GUI goes unresponsive when that's happening;
and if *that*'s being misinterpreted as a hang.  Hence my
question and suggestion above.

Or is Explorer indeed hanging (or really crashing) under Win7?

  - Eric