increasing the python requirement

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Wed Jan 5 18:52:25 UTC 2011

On 05/01/11 18:17, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 02:36:05PM +0100, Vincent Ladeuil wrote:

>>     > or "I'm running bzr smart server on a RHEL5 server and a few of
>>     > the clients pushing repos get errors because they default to the
>>     > new format."
>>
>> This is easier to address as it "only" require that bzr can decide which
>> format should be the default at a project level (which is not
>> implemented yet, bialix made a proof-of-concept plugin to ensure this at
>> a user level so we know it's doable).
>>
> That would be helpful.  I haven't been following his work but would it be
> able to address either of these two cases?
>
> (Client with a newer default format):
> $ bzr init-repo blah
> $ cd blah
> $ bzr branch bzr://older.repository/format/server/
>

> $ bzr init newproject
> $ cd newproject ; touch hi
> $ bzr add hi ; bzr commit
> $ bzr push bzr+ssh://older.repository/format/server/
>
> I'm guessing not as the format is laid down on disk before talking to the
> server that would have project information.... Unless you're talking about
> project information being installed by someone's IT dept (or downloaded from
> the internet) before the person starts working... that would be
> non-transparent and therefore a bit "unclean" for the end-user though.

Hah :-) I have actually previously hypothesized that 'bzr init-repo'
could default to creating an 'undecided' format repository, which would
then lazily turn itself into a real repository dependent on the
rich/poor-rootness and CHK/XML-inventoryness of the first revision
stored to it.

This would have saved a fair bit of annoyance during that period when
most Launchpad projects were transitioning to 2a.

Max.