increasing the python requirement

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:17:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 02:36:05PM +0100, Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
> I expect that you'll run into problems from the gwibber side asking for
> versions of software components not supported by RHEL5 before you
> encounter the same issues with bzr (and again, make sure you make your
> issues known as you've done here).

gwibber is just an example of something where I know the upstream lives on
launchpad, of course.  There's other things that have less volatile deps
that live on launchpad that people will want to contribute to but could have
problems getting if the format changes but isn't available in their client.

>     > or "I'm running bzr smart server on a RHEL5 server and a few of
>     > the clients pushing repos get errors because they default to the
>     > new format."
>
> This is easier to address as it "only" require that bzr can decide which
> format should be the default at a project level (which is not
> implemented yet, bialix made a proof-of-concept plugin to ensure this at
> a user level so we know it's doable).

That would be helpful.  I haven't been following his work but would it be
able to address either of these two cases?

(Client with a newer default format):
$ bzr init-repo blah
$ cd blah
$ bzr branch bzr://older.repository/format/server/

$ bzr init newproject
$ cd newproject ; touch hi
$ bzr add hi ; bzr commit
$ bzr push bzr+ssh://older.repository/format/server/

I'm guessing not as the format is laid down on disk before talking to the
server that would have project information.... Unless you're talking about
project information being installed by someone's IT dept (or downloaded from
the internet) before the person starts working... that would be
non-transparent and therefore a bit "unclean" for the end-user though.

-Toshio