Replicated branch storage, with automatic pushing of new revisions?

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Tue Jan 4 23:09:36 UTC 2011

> On 1/4/2011 4:05 PM, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> I'm trying to advocate Bazaar in my organization, where the current
>> primary version control system is Subversion.
>
>> One of the sticking points is the lack of a synchronization /
>> replication style backup system - as can be moderately easily contrived
>> using Subversion's svnsync from Subversion's hooks.
>
>> So, I'm looking into the idea of trapping write accesses to branches
>> such that I can log them to an audit log, which a separate daemon could
>> follow and initiate push operations to a mirror.
>
>> Is anyone aware of any prior work done in this area?

Oh, and a question I forgot in my initial mail - if you are at an
organization using Bazaar *without* building something like this - what
is your approach?

On 04/01/11 22:15, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> It isn't particularly hard from the bzrlib level to replicate a whole
> repository. I suppose a journaled form would lend itself to scale to
> really large repos with 1000s of branches, but for anything <100
> branches, you could just scan the branches pretty easily.
>
> One bit of work in this area is a branch scanner that sends email after
> the fact, rather than as a user configured item. I don't remember the
> name off-hand. (Basically a cron job that remembers last seen branch
> tip, and sends an email if it changes.)

bzr-hookless-email. I didn't think of it, but now you point it out, yes,
I should look at that.

> If you just want to sync the revisions, there is also:
>
> repo1.fetch(repo2) # without passing a revision_id
>
> It may be a bit inefficient since it scans all revisions, but it does work.

I think I absolutely need to do this per-branch, given that I care about
syncing branch tips and tags.

Actually, come to think of it I'm going to need something which causes
new shared-repositories to come into existence too, for proper
space-efficient mirroring of an arbitrary directory tree of branches
from one server to another.

Max.