2.3b2: Slow commands (several seconds) under SunOS / Sparc

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Nov 18 15:34:59 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 08:34:38AM +0100 I heard the voice of
Voelker, Bernhard, and lo! it spake thus:
> Jari Aalto wrote:
> >    System Configuration: Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Serverblade1
> >    (UltraSPARC-IIe 650MHz)
>
> I guess it's ~6years old (it's SunOS5.9) and therefore should be
> still quite ok. ;-)

More like 8ish.  That's a IIe+

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraSPARC_IIe#UltraSPARC_IIe.2B>

Are you sure there's actually something significant _wrong_?  That
just not a very fast chip at all to start with, and notice from the
first mail that this single-proc box is running a load average of 3.
My offhand guess would be that everything's working "fine", and it's
just slow because it's slow.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net