Supporting configuration files in ~/.config/bazaar?

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Tue Nov 2 11:22:17 GMT 2010

On 02/11/10 05:13, Neil Martinsen-Burrell wrote:
> * Is this a change that Bazaar wants: ~/.bazaar -> ~/.config/bazaar?

What is the rationale for considering this change?

I'm all for compliance with specifications when it makes sense to do so,
*BUT* I find it difficult to see what benefit this particular
specification is trying to bring.

Key points to me that make ~/.bazaar/ different from many other
applications' dotfiles which I would more readily see the point in
moving are:

* Intermediate and advanced users are fully expected to have
considerable manual interaction with ~/.bazaar/ - a prominent and short
name helps.

* ~/.bazaar/plugins/ isn't exactly "configuration" in the true sense.

On top of that, the necessary amount of documentation and compatibility
work to manage a transition here is rather large.

What's the payoff from moving this directory to justify all the work,
and Bazaar users worldwide needing to retrain their fingers?

Sorry to be so negative, but I'm just not seeing the advantage here,
Max.